Know the warning signs of CO poisoning
When a natural gas appliance malfunctions, it can produce carbon monoxide (CO). CO is a deadly odorless, colorless and tasteless gas, which makes it hard to detect. Warning signs of CO poisoning include dizziness, shortness of breath, headaches, confusion, nausea and fainting. If you think you may be experiencing CO poisoning, leave your home and seek medical attention immediately.
What can you do to avoid CO poisoning?
Install carbon monoxide alarms and carefully follow the manufacturer’s directions for operation, placement and maintenance. Before the heating season, have a professional inspection of all fuel-burning appliances and all heating and venting equipment.
In this video: Our hosts, Pete and Megan, explain how to use natural gas safely in your home. Always make sure you have a working carbon monoxide detector.